Pages

7.08.2009

thoughts

just wanted to share some thoughts spurred by this picture.

meet garrett. one day old. my newest nephew. hes fighting for his life right now. his big sister can't touch him. in fact, no one can really touch him without causing him severe pain. i haven't even met this little guy but i am already so in love with him. i may never get to meet him in this life, and while the thought wrenches at my heart, i know that he would be able to be pain free.

my sister-in-law is so incredible. she knew early on that garrett would not be like his loving siblings, but she carried on nonetheless. i can't imagine the strength it takes a woman to go on while never knowing the outcome. the faith of this woman.

i sat tonight holding my baby as long as i could while she fell asleep. shedding tears of grattitude just to be able to hold her, i looked over to a painting of the Savior hanging on the wall. more tears fell as i knew that He has already done it all for garrett, for me, for my sweet baby claire. for everyone. He made it possible for me to have a family. and not just for a little while. how sad it would be not knowing that no matter what happens to little garrett, he would be an eternal part of his family. i took a class at BYU that was centered around a book based on "The Family: A Procclamation to the World" and i doubt i will have another class like it. i memorized this document word-for-word, and one of my favorite lines continues to be "... the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children." NOTHING in this world will ever be more important to me than my family. i strive daily to make sure that the things that i am doing will help my family reach to my goal of eternal life together.

many people in the spotlights have passed away in the last couple of days. and they left behind so many grieving family members and friends, who don't know that they can be reunited. how deep their sadness must be at this time. i pray that they may somehow find comfort and peace.

i was reminded today of what happened exactly eight months ago. my father just happened to be in the best possible place at the time, and was blessed to have the medical advances that are available today. i almost lost my dad eight months ago, and by a true miracle he was in a hospital when his heart basically stopped. this was only five days after claire was born, another miracle in and of itself. how incredibly thankful i am that we have modern medicine- garrett has made it this far and my dad is still here because of it. we are truly blessed

garrett, there are so many who love you. you are an angel, and a sparkle in your parent's eyes. we wish we could be closer so that we could at least meet you.

just some thoughts.
the procclamation
more about our savior
how to be an eternal family

7 comments:

LinnieBell said...

i was thinking about the proclamation tonight, too! keep me updated on baby Garrett.

*linds

Jeannette & Brandt said...

oh my goodness that is so sad! we will be praying for little Garrett! This really gives me a lot to think about and makes me VERY grateful for my little girl as well.

Mom and Sarah said...

Love you Kate!

Yaya said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Katie. You said what we have all been feeling as we met this sweet boy and he touched so many.

We love you guys.
Yaya

CR said...

Dear Katie,

You don't know me, but I am a friend of Laura's. Thank you so much for posting this precious picture of SiSi and Garrett, and also for your beautiful thoughts. I recently moved away from NC and my heart has been breaking since I heard the news. Reading this post was such a blessing to me and I'm sure to many others as well.

I don't think there is a stronger woman in this world than Laura, I love her and we are all praying for them in every prayer.
Thanks again, and may our Heavenly Father bless your entire family with peace and comfort.
Love,
Christena Reeder

Laura said...

Katie
I just saw this tonight for the first time...thank you for your kind words, your prayers, and your support. This week has been hard, but sweet too with the realization of all that you testified of. The relief i feel with Garrett's passing is based on knowing he is with us for eternity, that he is no longer in pain, and the confirmation that his purpose here on earth was complete, and he was needed elsewhere. Thank you for being you and sharing your thoughts, and love...
Laura

And I Think to Myself.....What a Wonderful World! said...

I was touched by your words Katie, thank you for sharing with us Garretts special story.
I was touched by the picture of him too.
Im so sorry your family has to endure such heart ache. What a blessing to know he is sealed to your family and that you will all be with him again, he is for sure very special indeed. No need to be here and be tested. His journey is eternal.
Hugs
Katie