Pages

9.03.2012

story time.

I was looking back through the blog the other day and noticed how I used to write about really funny things that happened, but since having lots of kids it's been rather dull. So! A story for you.

I was conducting in relief society yesterday, and as our teacher was wrapping up her lesson, Eleanor hall started raising her hand.

Now, let me pause and tell you about Eleanor hall. She is OLD. She wears her frizzy, flyaway hair in a very TALL beehive, and has some of the biggest, thick glasses covering half her face. And her comments are always well-intentioned but  off the wall a bit.

So, the teacher tried to ignore her, she was trying to leave time for testimonies. But as she moved to sit down Eleanor started talking anyways. And she started talking about little Yosh, her 'dear friend,' and how it was her birthday, so we really needed to sing to her. What?!?!  The teacher calmly tried to assuage her by saying no, we'll share testimonies first, and perhaps we could all just go make sure to say happy birthday on own.

Crisis almost averted.

I got up after testimonies and announced the closing hymn, and promptly got interrupted by Eleanor, practically yelling (we have RS in the chapel, by the way) saying no, we will sing 'happy birthday' because it would only take two seconds. Ah!

Fine. We sang the least enthusiastic version I have ever heard, closing hymn, and done.

I cant count the number of people who came up and said, 'you should have seen your face!' Yeah, I'm sure that was hilarious. But they all also said there was nothing else that could have been done.

Oh those old people in our ward. They are one funny bunch. I need to say there are a few who I will dearly, dearly miss. One being Cynthia Scott. She is teeny tiny, wears Fifties cat glasses, and her stark white hair in a bob. She has really horrible memory, it took her maybe three years to finally remember my name.  But she always tries so hard to remember, is really so kind, and has the sweetest testimony that she is so willing to share.

I need to also say, I will miss our ward in general. It's a really, really big ward, but it's also really transient, you can meet someone new every week.

Anyways. This is Claire after her dance class recital this summer. So fun!

1 comment:

Cristy said...

I am totally laughing out loud! I miss that ward, it really was so great. Sad we weren't there for the fun dance class with all those cute girls! And now you guys are off on a new adventure - it will have challenges and good times - can't wait to hear all about it!